Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Letter from Mayor Duffy

Mayor Robert Duffy responded to my letter regarding mayoral control and how I hope the performing arts will play a large role in his developing curriculum plan. I am so excited to share it all with you!




April 27, 2010

Dear Katie,

Thank you for your letter of April 23, 2010. Please accept my congratulations for being crowned as Miss Greater Rochester 2010.

Thank you as well for your words of support and encouragement regarding the mayoral Control initiative. I am glad to learn that we share the same goals.

I in no way wish to diminish the central message of your letter (i.e., supporting the arts in education), but I must share my observation that, in addition to whatever arts instruction and education you were provided, someone, somewhere along the line did excellent instructional work guiding you in English Language Arts, composition, persuasive argument, and rational thought. Yours is one of the better written letters that I have read in some time.

To the importance of arts in education, I am firmly in support of a strong arts curriculum. The Rochester City School District's School of the Arts is one of the best secondary schools in the District, and I think it no coincidence that its dual focus on academics and the arts is a major contributing factor. Students there attend school more frequently, graduate at a higher rate, and advance to post-secondary education or other desired pursuits more often than is the case at most other City high schools. It may not be appropriate to replicate the SOTA experience in all schools, but it provides us with valuable lessons.
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Sincerely yours,
Bob
Robert J. Duffy
Mayor



Well! I am just BEAMING!

Rochester, we are so fortunate to have such a responsive, intelligent, kindhearted, and art supporting mayor! I am thrilled with Mayor Duffy's response and his commitment to the arts and look forward to continue to push for the arts in other city and suburb classrooms and communities!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I did my student teaching at SOTA and I loved it there, congrats Katie!

    ReplyDelete