Thursday, April 15, 2010

"Here I go and there's no turning back...."

I am so excited and so honored to be Miss Greater Rochester 2010! The competition this past Sunday, April 11th at Roberts Wesleyan College in Rochester, NY was fierce. Each of the contestants did a fantastic job articulating their passions, goals, and opinions. It was an absolutely remarkable group of girls and I am so proud to be representing them and the Greater Rochester area for the 2010-2011 year and at the Miss New York pageant this June!

This is a special year for me in the Miss America Organization as it is my last and final year before I age out (am I really that old?!). I first started competing in the system back when I was a sophomore in college. My first year I did not win a title but was 1st Runner up at Miss Greater Rochester, and 2nd Runner up at both Miss Manhattan and Miss Greater NYC pageants. My journey continued the following two years as I proudly held the titles of Miss Greater Rochester 2008 and Miss Hudson Valley 2009 and was honored to find myself in the Top 5 in 2008, a preliminary talent winner in 2008 and in the Top 10 in 2009. I have grown immensely in this organization and have learned a great deal about myself through all the experiences MAO has afforded me.

In this last and final year I knew that if I was going to compete I wanted to do it right. I believe I was actually eligible to compete for 10 titles prior to Miss Greater Rochester but did not compete for any of them. In my heart I only wanted to wear the Miss Greater Rochester crown and that meant putting all my eggs in one basket and taking a risk on only competing in the very last local of the pageant season. Not going to lie, that was pretty scary! But I knew that Rochester is the city that I love. Rochester is the city I call my home. And Rochester is the city that I want to bring that state crown home to. It was more important to me to represent my hometown and the city I care so much about than to just compete for every local I could until I won a ticket to the Miss New York pageant. So I took the risk. And boy, am I glad I did!

Standing on the Miss Greater Rochester stage, with my entire family and friends in the audience and hearing my name called was such a proud moment. I actually teared up! I'm not sure what set it off exactly-either hugging my former and now once again current ED Calista or looking down and seeing Miss Greater Rochester on my sash-regardless it's safe to say I was extremely happy!

(Thank you to Miss Fingerlakes 2010, Amy Valenti, for the video!)
Crowning Video
My mom has watched that video probably 10 times at this point and still cries every time ha!

Pictures from the pageant:
My sister queen (and MNY roomie!) Miss Genesee Valley, Chelsea Prophet

The Top 5-3rd RU Charlotte Booth, 1st RU Jennifer Starkey, Miss Genesee Valley
Chelsea Prophet, Miss Greater Rochester Katie Martin, 2nd RU Lorna Rose
My family-Dad, me, Mom, and my little sister Maura

Three of my best friends came all the way from NYC for the pageant....and a garbage plate ;)


I can't wait to get started! I have a lot of fantastic things in mind for fundraisers for the Children's Miracle Network and for the Miss Greater Rochester Organization-some of these are already in the works as well as some pending appearances so keep checking back for updates! This is sure to be an outstanding year and I am so excited to see how it all unfolds!

Thank you all for your tremendous support and love,
Katie Martin
Miss Greater Rochester 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment